Historical photographs of Evansville and the tri-state area (Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky) document an assortment of people, places, and events from the 1870s to the present.
Willard Library is the repository for an estimated 20,000 historical images, many of which are indexed here and are available for online searching and viewing. Images are added to the online database as time and resources permit; check back periodically to see the most recent additions. Visitors to Willard Library have access to the entire Photography Gallery, which is indexed by subject.
The Photography Gallery has been acquired from diverse sources, including the following:
- Karl Kae Knecht — private collection
- Deeds — private collection
- Meyer-Schlamp — private collection
- Shane — private collection
- Joan C. Marchand, Historic Preservation Officer, City of Evansville
- Photo Contest Series, from 20+ years of Friends of Willard Library annual photography competitions (includes many local churches, schools, businesses/industries, residences, and social/civic organizations)
For more information, contact the Willard Library Archivist.